Stamus Contra Malum: 1013 YE
Adventurer, Conqueror, King Rules System
Adventurer, Conqueror, King Rules System
In a world of fallen empires, some relics of the past are good only for a beastman’s bludgeon; others make ruin delvers rich. You may start out with no higher ambition than a sack full of ancient coins, but each gold piece you spend ties you into a dynamic realm of commerce and carousing, driven by the hidden engines of court intrigues and distant wars. As you grow in power, will you fight to hold back the darkness looming at the borderlands of an aging civilization, or will you pull down the last decadent barriers to the coming of a new dawn?
Autarch’s Adventurer Conqueror King System™ fulfills the promise of the original fantasy role-playing game by providing comprehensive, integrated support for play across all levels of a campaign. Any referee who has ever checked for random encounters, and every player who has rolled a twenty-sided dice to hit a wandering monster, will find the rules of Adventurer Conqueror King as elegant, familiar, and comfortable to wield as an heirloom sword. The system’s cutting edge is the way every table, chart, and assumption in the game encodes Gygaxian naturalism, Arnesonian barony-building, and the designers’ own experience of hundreds of sessions playing and running old-school games. With Adventurer Conqueror King, you get both the verisimilitude and consistency of thorough world-building with the power of improvisation and discovery through play. We look forward to seeing what you do with these tools!
Books Currently Available
Core Rule Book
Enter a world where empires totter on the brink of war, and terrible monsters tear at the fragile borderlands of men; where decaying cities teem with chaos and corruption, nubile maidens are sacrificed to chthonic cults and nobles live in decadent pleasure on the toil of slaves; where heroes, wizards, and rogues risk everything in pursuit of glory, fortune, and power. This is a world where adventurers can become conquerors – and conquerors can become kings. Will you survive the perils of war and dark magic to claim a throne? Or will you meet your fate in a forgotten ruin beyond the ken of men?
The Adventurer Conqueror King System™ (ACKS) is a new fantasy role-playing game that provides the framework for epic fantasy campaigns with a sweeping scope. With the Adventurer Conqueror King System™ you can:
- Play 12 different classes, including the fighter, mage, thief, cleric, assassin, bard, bladedancer, explorer, dwarven craftpriest, dwarven vaultguard, elven nightblade, and elven spellsword.
- Easily customize your character using a unique, optional proficiency system. Make your fighter a berserker or your mage a necromancer!
- Buy, sell, and trade common merchandise, precious silks and spices, and even monster parts and magic items in a balanced and integrated game economy.
- Construct strongholds, establish kingdoms, and carve out a realm for your character.
- Run a thieves’ guild and send your minions to carouse, smuggle, steal, and commit other hijinks.
- Establish a wizard’s sanctum and explore the forbidden arts. Crossbreed horrific monsters in an underground laboratory, enact powerful magical rituals, build golems, craft magic items, or even transform yourself and your followers into undead monsters.
- Build and run a living world for adventure on a grand scale. With game mechanics built to support emergent play, ACKS is the ultimate RPG for sandbox campaigns.
Whether you want to crawl through dungeons, trade with merchant caravans, run a merchant emporium, conquer an empire, or even raise an undead legion, ACKS supports your playstyle with simple, fast-playing game mechanics.
ACKS Player’s Companion
The Player’s Companion is the first expansion for the Adventurer Conqueror King System™ (ACKS) and an invaluable resource for players and Judges of the original fantasy role-playing game and its retro-clones. With this book you can do the following:
- Expand your campaigns with 19 new character classes, including the anti-paladin, barbarian, dwarven delver, dwarven fury, dwarven machinist, elven courtier, elven enchanter, elven ranger, gnomish trickster, mystic, Nobiran wonderworker, paladin, priestess, shaman, Thrassian gladiator, venturer, warlock, witch, and Zaharan ruinguard.
- Quickly create vivid characters using 248 templates featuring pre-selected prociencies, spells, and equipment options. Eight archetypes are presented for every class in the ACKS core rules and the Player’s Companion; customize your barbarian to be a Berserker or a Sea Rover, or let the dice choose!
- Make your own character classes using a balanced point-based system 100% compatible with every class in the ACKS core rules and the Player’s Companion. Achieve your own perfect blend of fighting, thievery, divine grace, and magical power!
- Bring wonder to your game world with a dynamic spell system. Invent your own new spells during play with advanced magic research rules that allow your characters to experiment, make breakthroughs, and suffer side effects. Comprehensive guidelines let Judges determine what level a proposed spell will be and gauge its balance with all existing spells.
- Expand the options available to new characters as well as old with new equipment and proficiencies.
The Player’s Companion allows you to customize your fantasy game to an unparalleled degree. Open up the hood of the Adventurer Conqueror King System™ and gain new insights into the foundations of the original fantasy RPG!
ACKS Domains at War
Domains at War™ brings the full sweep of fantasy warfare to tabletop gaming and role-playing campaigns. The Domains at War Complete Set offers three interlocking systems to cover the full sweep of military struggles in a fantasy, ancient, or medieval world:
- A quick mass combat rule system for use in any role-playing game that uses concepts like hit points and armor class
- A comprehensive campaign toolkit for use in ongoing games, fully compatible with the Adventurer Conqueror King System’s rules for mercenaries, strongholds, magic, and rulership
- A fast-playing tactical wargame derived from these systems, so that playing a battle generates outcomes like what you’d get if you fought it out on the one-on-one roleplaying scale
- The Domains at War Complete Set comes with two rulebooks, Campaigns and Battles, as well as 12 pages of printable full-color counters for units, leaders, spells, and terrain and a 4′ × 3′ PDF battlemap for tabletop warfare.
Domains at War is designed for Autarch’s best-selling Adventurer Conqueror King System™, but is compatible with any fantasy RPG system that uses twenty-sided dice and shares concepts like hit points and armor class. If your tabletop gaming would benefit from the vivid drama and agonizing choices of warfare, Domains at War is designed for you.